Now that I have several figures painted and more on the way its time to start gathering terrain. We all know that Vikings need buildings to live in and store their loot as well as buildings to raid, loot and burn. So after seeing some great Dark Age buildings for inspiration over at the Man Cave, specifically his A-frame house as well as finding a good tutorial by the Kamloopian about making thatched roofs, it was time to make my own. I again have fallen victim to getting caught up in the project and forgetting to take more pictures, so I apologize for the lack of pictures.
The basic concept I am going for is a small A-frame thatched roof building. Having one my minis handy I went to my scrap cardboard pile and cut out the A-frame roof to a suitable size. Then upending the A-frame I traced out the shapes of the walls on either end from more cardboard. Then taking trusty hot glue gun I glue the walls and roof together. Next using the method from the video tutorial I linked to above I found some cheap scouring pads and cut them in roughly 1 inch wide strips. It worked out well that the length of the strips was just a bit longer than the building, I would love to say I planned this but I did not. In the end I trimmed off the overhanging parts of the thatch. Next I took each strip at the top and pulled it apart down the middle creating two 1 inch wide strips that were much less dense than the original and looked closer to thatching.
Next starting at the bottom of each side of the roof I glued the strips on leaving a little overlap as I went up the roof. One final slightly wider piece was used to cap the roof top. The glue was left to dry and I began working on cutting some craft sticks to add some detail. On the backside wall which you can not see in any of the pictures I made a T shape from the sticks and glued them on to represent support beams in the wall. Then in the front I put the 'beams' around the door and then cut the doorway out of the cardboard. Finally the last bit of detail was to glue two long overlapping sticks on the front and back of the building to give it a more Viking feel. Next because I was out of black primer I primed the whole structure with a 'ruddy brown' primer.
After the primer had dried all I had to do was paint the building. I tried to give the wood parts a weathered look with limited success and the wall I painted an off white color and then gave them a wash with some of the brown water I had from cleaning my brushes. Finally I gave the thatching a couple drybrusing coats. Overall I am very happy with the finished product. It was very easy to make and did not cost much in the way of materials and time.