In my searches on the Internet looking for inspiration and terrain building tips I have come across alot of good ideas, tips and techniques for building and painting terrain. On YouTube the other day I came across a video with a tip for quick "free flock" that would work great for dead fall under trees and rotting leaves.... Old tea bags! Since my wife drinks quite alot of tea I have had her begin to save the used tea bags and I am slowly filling a container with this great new flocking material!
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Sunday, September 19, 2010
I finished the three Flames of War jeeps I had started last week. The picture makes them look a little darker then they are but I'm pretty happy with them. (I need to work on something to use to take better pictures, but that will be another blog entry.) The basic molds of the jeeps varied slightly so I also varied the crews and armament when I added those. The jeep in the middle would hold the scout section leader and radio so I did not include a mounted gun but added an extra soldier with binoculars in the back of the jeep. The jeep on the right has a .50 cal mounted while the jeep on the left has what I believe is suppose to be a .30 cal gun mounted. I have always liked recon vehicles so even if I never game with these they will be nice for display.
Saturday, September 4, 2010
I found a great deal on EBay for a Revolutionary War board game called Hold the Line. It arrived this week and I talked my wife into playing a scenario with me. We played the Bemis Heights scenario with my wife defending as the British and me attacking as the Americans. I had never played this game before and I'm introducing my wife slowly to war games, so this turned out to be a great fit for us. We went over the rules briefly and jumped into it consulting the rules for the first couple of turns but after that it was pretty much smooth sailing. By the end of the specified number of turns the score was very close with me winning by one point. However, my forces were in a perilous position. So for the fun of it we extended the game several turns and her forces drove me from the victory hex with heavy losses and we ended in a draw. The game was great for getting my wife's feet wet in the genre but alot of fun with room for maneuvering and strategy. What follows is a little AAR of the game.
This is the Bemis Heights scenario set up. My Americans had to force the crossing of the steam and push forward to take the fortified British position (The red units on the right side of the board)
My Americans began to cross the stream but took heavy casualties from the British which slowed the progress. The British then pulled back and consolidated their position in the tree line.
My Americans finally made the crossing and forced the British out of the woods but, again not after taking casualties and slowing my progress significantly. (My wife fought a great delaying action without realizing it.)
My Americans then isolated and destroyed several British units but not before my wife withdrew some of her British forces to form a defensive line around the fortified victory point. (You can see American reinforcements struggling to keep up with the battle. You only get a certain amount of command actions points per turn and I was using all of them to keep up the initiative of my attack and in so doing did not bring my full force into battle.)
My Americans then had to cross open ground to assault the fortified British position. They paid dearly in casualties at the hands of the British cannon. (It didn't help that my wife rolled three 6's for her cannon, totally destroying one of my units as it set foot in open ground.)
This is the situation at the end of 25 turns, with my Americans winning by 1 point. As I said above we extended the game by several turns during which my wife's British forces drove my Americans for the VP hex causing severe casualties and we ended in draw.
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Well I have started September off on the right foot. The work has finally continued on the stockade fort. I finally got out, bought more dowels and finished putting the stockade around the whole fort. Next I will begin to figure out how I want to paint/stain the wooden dowels so they look like weathered wood. I received some advice on the TMP forums and will try testing some of these techniques on scraps of wood.I will also begin planning the ground work as I want to add some plaster rocks to the face of the hills. After the wood has been painted I will begin the ground work. Again I have not decided on how to do this and will most likely do some small test pieces. Stay tuned for more!